Monday, February 2, 2009

U-Blog 1

The first U-Blog is here and I can't tell you how excited I am to be writing to all of you today. The communication of learning technology is an extreme concern in our current business setting. There are many employees at numerous corporations who come from a generation of paper, a generation where everything was hand written or typed on a type writer. This creates a very complex problem because they have the knowledge and experience they are not skilled with the technologies being pushed forward by their companies to help make them more efficient. Many users often let their jaw drop at the sight of having to learn new technology because it seems daunting and difficult to learn. Computers really are not that hard to learn, they are very simple when you think about it, a keyboard, and a mouse with two buttons to navigate around is all you need to control a pc and get your work done. The article "Tips for a Senior friendly classroom" is a perfect example of using a step by step process at a moderate pace to slowly bring our elders up to speed in the technology world. I did this exact same thing with my grandpa and now you have to kick him off the computer if you want to get on it. I probably should have left him in the dark light and not taught him because my inbox is filling up with joke emails he continues to forward me. There is one big thing for me that is hurting me with this class, I wish blackboard had some sort of system to email you everytime something is posted on blackboard or maybe a day or two before a due date it can alert you that you have an assignment due.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I had to do the same thing with my grandparents and teach them how to use the computer. A couple years later their family business is ran by the internet. I would of never of guessed it. Do you think we will be able to keep up with all the technology changes as we enter the workplace? Just look at how much things have changed in 20 years. I am scared that with all the new and improved technology we will somehow get overthrown as well if we dont keep up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you to a certain point. The basics of the computer are very easy to learn. However, when you get into certain applications, some of those can be difficult to understand, especially for someone who's never used a computer before. I really do like the article you talked about in your blog for creating a senior friendly classroom. I think for the most part, people that have never used or don't understand how a computer works are more than likely getting ready to retire. That's where we come in. As for emails every time a new announcement is posted, I've received quite a few notifications through email informing me when the assignment is due. I think we're just expected to know we have to write a new blog every friday and respond by monday. Anyway Anthony, nice blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post, Anthony! I am sure your grandpa feels that much more connected to you as he forwards email to you!

    Two excellent ideas regarding Blackboard sending you prompts. I would really like to see a tool that sends a prompt two days before an assignment is due. I would definitely take advantage of a tool like that. One new feature in Blackboard that you might not know about is that you can Subscribe to any of the Forums so that you get an email sent to you every time someone posts in the Forum.

    A step in the right direction.
    Dr. Keane

    ReplyDelete